Below you will find the Personal Information we collect and how we use it.
You will be notified of any important change in this document affecting your rights.
Communauto established in Montreal at 1117 Sainte-Catherine West, 8th floor, is responsible for the collection and processing of personal information that belongs to you.
“Personal information” means information that identifies you as a physical person or that we combine with information available to identify you as a physical person.
By submitting your personal information to Communauto, you recognize and accept that Communauto use and discloses the Personal Information in this document. Where use or disclosure requires specific consent, Communauto will only use and disclose Personal Information in accordance with the consent you have given to Communauto. If you do not accept the terms of the document, please abstain from giving personal information to Communauto.
Collection mode and use of information
We collect and store your information primarily to allow you to use a vehicle, bill you, answer your questions and improve our products.
We will also use your Personal Information if:
Our legitimate interests include: (a) ensure effective administration and management of your relationship with us, including your reservations; (b) understand how our members use our services and manage our fleet of vehicles; (c) conduct research and analysis on the services or products our members want or how they would like us to improve our services and products; (d) understand how our members use our Sites and identify potential problems with the use of the Sites and how we can improve the members' experience of use; (e) inform our members about the different products and services we can offer; (f) understand and respond to feedback from members; (g) better customize the promotions and benefits we offer to our members; (h) prevent, detect or investigate the unauthorized use of our vehicles and systems and ensure that we comply with the law and our policies; and (i) manage disputes and accidents and seek legal or professional advice.
- It is necessary to respect our legal or regulatory obligations, such as providing information to the police if you are involved in an accident during your reservation, or suffer loss, damage, or theft of the vehicle, or if you incur fines for excess speeding, parking, tolls or other road traffic fines or commit traffic violations during your reservation.
- It is necessary in the public interest, for example, anti-fraud screening and verification of the identity of our members.
- To keep you informed of the development of the service via our monthly newsletter which you can unsubscribe to directly in the “Personal information” section of your online account.
- It is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate business interests (provided we have balanced these interests with your own rights and interests).
We provide further details on the information we collect, store and why we use it.
When you use our Sites, our servers automatically record some information on your use of our Sites, like your IP address, your browser type, your operating system, navigation language, and service provider. We also collect information on your activity on our Sites, like the pages you visit or the ads or links that you click on. We use this for a number of purposes for which we have a legitimate interest, such as: the improvement of our services, the development of new services on the basis of what we learn from your business, the identification of products and marketing likely to interest you, personalizing our service and conducting statistical analysis and research to better understand our members and the products and services they want. We use this information to provide and adapt our services to reflect the technical capabilities of our users and to identify website problems and user experience.
IP address and other information collected automatically: We can collect your IP address when you visit our Sites to help us diagnose problems on our systems, administer the system, report aggregated information to our business partners, and audit the use of our website. In certain circumstances we can use your IP address to help identify you to protect our service, our site, our users or other people. We also collect your browser type, Internet service provider, reference and exit pages, pages viewed on our site, operating systems, timestamp, and / or navigation course data to analyze aggregated trends and administer the site.
Repetitions of sessions: When you visit our website, we can also record information about your browsing session on the site, including the pages you visited and the forms of the website that you filled out. We analyze this information to identify any technical problems in the operation of our sites and improve the user interface of our sites. If we use a third party to help us, this information will be sent to him as such.
The mobile apps: we can use an analysis software allowing us to better adapt to your needs. This scan can record how often you use the app, how you use it, aggregate usage, performance data, and the source of the app download.
Mobile GPS and Push Notifications: If you agree, we may, when using the apps, collect location markers using your device's GPS. Knowing approximately where you are would help the application to provide you with better service and find, for example, the closest Communauto station. This would also help us send push notifications or other communications based on your location (for example, special offers nearby) and provide you with certain services like arrival and return notifications, giving information about the location of the vehicle, etc. We only share this information with third-party providers for the purpose of providing you with our services. For you to receive tailored notifications, we need to collect certain information about your device, such as the operating system and user identification. If you change your mind about sharing your location or receiving push notifications from the app, you can change your mobile device's settings to stop geo-location data transmission or notification transmission at any moment.
For Communauto we collect the following information for specific purposes and that allows us to provide you with the service we offer. The necessary Personal Information collected is:
- Email address (to contact you);
- Your home address (to provide you with a vehicle access key);
- Phone numbers where we can reach you;
- Your birth date (to validate your licence and the legal requirements);
- Your gender (to validate your licence);
- Your payment information;
- Driver's licence information and/or other government-issued documents (for validation of your licence and legal requirements);
- A photo (for validation of your licence and legal requirements);
- Special discounts or promotional codes (if you want to use a special offer);
As part of your reservations, we will collect via your customer ID:
This information is necessary for us to provide you with adequate service and to manage the fleet.
In the event of an accident involving a third party or damage to a vehicle or any problem arising during your rental we collect Personal Information necessary for the proper treatment of the situation either with the police services concerned or to support our commercial policies that you have chosen.
- The date you created the reservation and the vehicle and station;
- The date, time and place of taking over the vehicle;
- Mileage and fuel consumption;
- The date, time and place of return of the vehicle.
In the same way, if you commit any type of violation during your booking we collect and use your Personal Information to process fines for these offences.
When you call us (whatever the phone), or send us an email, we can record or track the communication for purposes of quality control, training or similar purposes.
When authorized by law, Communauto cars can use GPS technology, telematic data tracking and anti-theft technology that uses GPS. GPS is a satellite network that allows us to determine the location (latitude and longitude) of Communauto cars during your reservation. In addition, Communauto cars can also have on-board devices that can track the status of the vehicle at any time, including its location during your reservation. This information could be transmitted to Communauto and stored. If necessary, Communauto uses them for a variety of legitimate interests and in the context of the execution of our contract with you. For example, we could track or store vehicle data or GPS data to help you find a car you have booked, provide roadside assistance, and locate lost or stolen Communauto cars.
Archiving of Personal Information
As we offer the possibility of renting vehicles and benefiting from our services in several locations around the world, we may transfer your Personal Information to our affiliates and independent dealers in those locations for the purpose of executing your booking and/or entering into a subscription contract. The exact location of where your data will be transferred depends on the location of your booking.
Shelf life of your information
Personal Information is kept throughout the life of the subscriber. As long as a request for termination is not formalized by you, your Personal Information remains. This in order to provide you with our service at any time.
Transmissions of personal information to third parties
Communauto, as part of its operation, may transmit your Personal Information as described below:
||Purpose of disclosure
||Legal basis of treatment
|Credit card issuers to obtain payment
- Process payments and refunds;
- Fraud verification;
- Manage the recovery of debts.
- Execution of the contract
- Legitimate interests
Providers of services and IT platforms, website analysis service providers to execute our contract and understand how you use our services and improve our business
- Support our systems and our IT infrastructure;
- Fournir des services de maintenance pour nos systèmes et notre infrastructure informatique;
- Fournir l’hébergement des données et d’autres services de traitement des données;
- Fournir des services d’analyse concernant votre utilisation de notre site web pour identifier les problèmes et/ou améliorations de l’interface utilisateur du site web.
|Account manager or other organization to provide you with the benefits of a business program and understand how you use our services and improve our business
||If you rent through a company account, or similar organization, we may share Personal Information with the organization that manages the account for its own purposes. We recommend that you review their data protection policy to learn more about their practices.
- Execution of the contract
- Legitimate interests
|Your employer or organization to provide you with the benefits of a business or association program and understand how you use our services and improve our business
- Check driving licences or official documents;
- Check eligibility to use designated accounts and discount codes;
- Link to your business and corporate accounts.
- Execution of the contract
- Legitimate interests
|Independent Dealers, Franchisees and Network Providers to execute our contract and understand how you use our services and improve our business
- Make and confirm your reservation;
- Make the link with your commercial and corporate accounts;
- Help with navigation or route planning;
- Provide assistance for our members;
- Resolve toll, traffic or parking infractions;
- Deal with claims relating to accidents and/or personal injury;
- Provide roadside assistance;
- Protect or defend the rights or well-being of our societies, employees, members and others;
- Check the criteria for safe driving for qualified drivers.
- Execution of the contract
- Legitimate interests
- Legal obligation
Government, regulatory and police agencies to meet our legal obligations
- Check your driver's licence and ensure that you meet the criteria for safe driving;
- At the request of these agencies if disclosure is necessary or permitted under the law;
- Take action regarding illegal activities, traffic offences or violations of conditions of service;
- If we believe in good faith that an emergency is threatening your safety or the safety of others;
- In another way as required or permitted by law.
- Execution of the contract
- Legitimate interests
|Insurance companies and claims managers regarding the insurance products you purchase as part of your rental
- Provide the insurance product you have requested;
- Manage potential claims under the insurance policy.
|Execution of the contract
We may also transfer or transfer your Personal Information to third parties by reason of, or in connection with, a sale, merger, consolidation, change of control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization or liquidation, or, if we are involved in defending a lawsuit, information about you that is relevant in this case may be disclosed to third parties as a result of, or as part of, this process.
Your personal data may be communicated if they are anonymised and aggregated, since in this case, they are no longer personal data.
If you unsubscribe from promotional and marketing messages, we may still contact you about our business relationship with you, such as account status and activity updates, booking confirmations, or responding to your requests, applications or claims, as well as other similar communications.
Cookies, advertising and personalized content
Understanding your rights
You have certain rights under your Personal Information. These rights and the way you can exercise them are specified below.
Some of these rights are only applicable in certain circumstances. If you wish to exercise or discuss these rights, please contact us through the online form.
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please contact us through the online form.
Communauto is committed to providing you with reasonable and convenient access to your information to help you identify inaccuracies. If you subscribe to Communauto, you can review and correct your Personal Information by clicking on "My Account" and then "Personal Information.” If you wish to access, delete and/or rectify other personal information held by Communauto, you can also contact us in a manner provided below and we will respond to your request within 30 days (or earlier in accordance with the law applicable).
- Correction – you are entitled to request that we rectify the incomplete or inaccurate Personal Information about you that we hold.
- Limitation of treatment
- Data transfer
- Post-mortem guidelines – if your national legislation expressly provides for this, you have the right to set guidelines for the retention, erasure and disclosure of your personal data after your death.
- Opposition – When we treat your Personal Information based on a legitimate interest (or that of a third party), you may object to it. However, we may be entitled to continue processing your information based on our legitimate interests or where the processing is relevant to legal action. You also have the right to object when we process your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes.
- Automated Decisions – You can challenge any automated decision made against you if it has a significant legal or significant effect and request that it be reconsidered.
Protection of Personal Information
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is protected against unauthorized use, access, disclosure, alteration, destruction and loss. For financial or payment information, we use firewalls and Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. We take security very seriously, however, since no system is 100% secure, we are not able to fully guarantee the protection of your personal information, nor any other organization.
We do not ask for financial information or payment, such as your credit card number, password, account number or pin code, in an e-mail, SMS or any other communication we send. Please always check that any website on which you are asked to provide financial or payment information in connection with our rentals or services is operated by Communauto or its affiliates. If you receive a suspicious request, do not provide your information and inform your customer service representatives as specified in the Contact section.
The responsibility for the security of your access codes, membership numbers and pin codes are your responsibility. Do not communicate them to anyone. In the event of unauthorized use or any other security breach involving your information, you must notify us as soon as possible to the subscribing service details below.
What are cookies and similar technologies?
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store via your browser on the hard disk of your computer or mobile device:
- Session cookies: These are specific to a particular visit and are limited to sending session identifiers (random numbers generated by the server) so that you do not have to enter information again when navigating to a new page or you leave the site. Session cookies are not stored permanently on your device and are deleted when the browser closes;
- Persistent cookies: they record information about your preferences and are stored in the cache of your browser or mobile device;
- Third-party cookies: they are placed by someone other than us who can collect data on multiple websites or sessions
Purpose of the cookie
- Strictly necessary: These cookies are essential for you to navigate our website and use its features. The information collected relates to the operation of the website (for example, the website scripting language and security tokens) and allows us to provide you with the service you requested.
- Functional: These cookies remember the choices you made, for example the country from which you visit our website, your language, and any changes you made to the text size and other parts of the web pages that you can customize to enhance your user experience and make your visits more personalized and enjoyable. The information collected by these cookies cannot be used to track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Performance / Statistics: These cookies collect information about how users use our website, such as which pages you visit most often, if you receive error messages, and how you arrived on our website. The information collected by these cookies is used solely to improve your use of our website. These cookies are sometimes placed by third-party web traffic and analytics providers. We use Google Analytics. For more information on how Google processes and collects your information and how you can unsubscribe, please visit the following link
- Targeting or advertising: These cookies collect information about your browsing habits and your alleged interests in order to make the advertisement more relevant to you. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as to measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. These cookies are usually placed by third-party advertising networks. They remember other websites you visit, and this information is shared with third-party organizations, such as advertisers.
- Social networks: These cookies allow users to share the content of our website on social media such as Facebook and Twitter. These cookies are not under our control. Please refer to the respective privacy policies of the social media providers to know how their cookies work.
We may also collect and store automatically certain information about your interaction with our website or application, including your IP address, browser type, internet service provider, landing pages, your operating system, time stamping and related data.
Refuse or delete cookies
Please visit the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance websites for more information.
This Policy can sometimes be updated.